Friday 10 September 2010

Getting your priorities right

From The Metro:

... in a written reply to accusations by former health secretary Andy Burnham that he was ‘rowing back’ from previous statements, [Andrew Lansley] said: ‘I have announced plans to phase out the NHS Direct number. I am aware that some people are claiming, incorrectly, that NHS Direct is to be shut down.’

Mr Burnham said: ‘This is a welcome climbdown and great news for the staff who work for NHS Direct
and all of us who rely on it.’

PS, I must cheerfully confess I have no idea what 'NHS Direct' is and have certainly never relied on it.

5 comments:

Henry North London 2.0 said...

Its NHS dire

WV polyp I kid you not

Umbongo said...

NHS Direct is a job-creation programme whereby people who are too thick or lazy to do something useful are employed (at your and my expense natch) to advise members of the public that, if they require medical attention, to phone their doctor or go to the nearest A&E department.

Henry North London 2.0 said...

Yes Umbongo Thats why its Dire...

Wv Tedia

This just gets better

Bayard said...

The NHS is just another example of what is free is generally wasted. I don't know what percentage of calls to the NHS (Direct or otherwise) are of the time-wasting variety, but I can be certain that it would damn close to 0% if you had to pay for them. In Turkmenistan, everyone leaves the gas burning all the time on the stove, because the gas is free and matches cost money.

Henry North London 2.0 said...

Lets move to Turkmenistan and take it over then!