Friday 9 January 2009

Fun with numbers

As Pommygranate explained a year and a half ago, hedge funds are not only a zero-sum game*, but the managers charge handsome fees on top - a 2% management charge on the total investment, plus 20% of any upside, making is a negative sum game from the investors' point of view.

It appears that there were lots of 'funds of funds' or 'feeder funds' that exist merely to invest in actual hedge funds, such as, er, Bernie Madoff's, 'nuff said. Their charging structure is just as outrageous, according to the FT it's 1% management charge and 10% of any upside.

So, to break even (and assuming no gearing), if you invest in a 'fund of funds', the underlying return would have to be well over 4%, year on year. Seeing as hedge funds are ultimately a zero-sum game, you would be getting poorer on average by 4% a year. Hmmm. Even the bank of mattress gives you better returns.

* I could put a perfectly convincing case why the price of anything - let's say gold - is going to rise over the next year, and entice investors to entrust me with their money in my GoldBull Fund. Somebody else could make the equal and opposite case that the same commodity is going to fall in price and set up his own GoldBear Fund. Whichever one of us is right, we both collect 2% of the money entrusted to us, plus 20% of the movement in the price of gold, be that up or down; or if we gear up ten-to-one, 200% of the movement in the price of gold.

5 comments:

Nick von Mises said...

That's why many people refer to hedge funds as a compensation package rather than as a strategy.

Yves Smith over at NakedCapitalism has talked about this alot. One of the best write ups I saw was about an imaginary hedge fund called Capital Destruction Partners. This is the closest link I could find

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2008/03/are-hedge-funds-scam.html

Lola said...

Mr W - I have been banging on about this since oooo 1989 ish, when we were first being enticed by fund of funders, guaranteed producters, hedge funderers etc etc to market these 'products' to our clients.

Applying the simple rule of 'if it looks to be good to be true' meant that it was clear they were useless.

But hey! What do I know? I'm just a micro FS advice business stuck in the sticks.

Am I feeling smug. No not really. I'd rather be rich than right.

Truly though, this makes me weep. And it pisses me right off with the banks who stuffed their retail clients with all this crap.

Death's too good for them.

AntiCitizenOne said...

In a gold Rush, don't dig sell spades!

Beerwulf said...

I second AC1's point, but why not apply some spread-betting logic and set up both of GoldBull and GoldBear yourself. 2% of everything guaranteed!

Mark Wadsworth said...

B, believe me, I have been sorely tempted!