Wednesday 18 May 2022

Skateboard upgrade (3)

I decided that I didn't like the old deck. Having designed the perfect deck on paper, I was researching what materials I would need to make my own custom deck when I stumbled across one that matched my design 'to a T' for a modest £45. That was the price for the whole thing complete with weird trucks and wheels (but still a good price for the deck alone, bearing in mind the faff of trying to make my own).

I messed up removing the trucks - bloody Allen key! Are they mental? Since time immemorial, trucks are held on with Philips-head bolts, and the nuts are easily accessible with yer bog standard skateboard all-in-one tool (which these weren't). TBH stepped in to drill out the shredded bolts for me. Trucks went in the metal recycling and I'll keep the wheels (they seem pretty good, the bearings are questionable but nothing a set of Bones REDS won't fix).

The new deck (top of pic below) is 2" shorter, has an elegant and useable shape (your feet don't get lost on half an acre of grip tape. If I put my front foot on, push off and jump on with my back foot, it lands just where I want it); it has a 2 1/2" longer wheelbase so more stable and no front overhang; and a more subtle kicktail (enough is enough). The perfect 'cruiser' for rolling down the pavement*. No good for doing tricks or going fast downhill.
* In case you're wondering, the trucks are the ones that came with the original cheapo skateboard, 7.5" axle and pretty good once I had upgraded the bushings. New trucks and it will be Trigger's skateboard.

4 comments:

mombers said...

Metal recycling - do you also have a rag and bone man come around every week? Ours rings a bell and I thought it was a 'Bring out your dead' cart at the beginning of the pandemic

Mark Wadsworth said...

M, sadly no. Our area is too posh and our street too steep.

A K Haart said...

You could try this next -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8ov87b6FrI

Mark Wadsworth said...

AKH, that is gloriously insane!