Saturday 7 May 2011

An LVT Spoof

Submitted by Flashman (from HousePriceCrash):
-----------------------------------
I once met a chap in my local who told me that he was all for taxing my unearned income. I couldn’t think of any income that I hadn’t earned, so I asked him for an example. He duly explained himself and I had to resist the urge to thrash the scoundrel on the spot.

I patiently explained to him that I had grafted like a dog to pay off my mortgage, at an exorbitant interest rate, for 25 years. To add insult to injury I had to pay this exorbitantly priced mortgage from an income that had been shredded in half by a whole host of toe curling taxes. I did some sums on a beer mat that showed him that I had paid for my house and every inch of dirt that it sits on, at least seven times over.

The incorrigible scallywag then went on to say that my house and land had gained in value by about 8,000% and that I had done nothing to deserve this gain. He also banged on about me not paying for the surrounding infrastructure or some such thing. This time I set my dog onto him. While he was having his throat gripped by an outraged Springer Spaniel, I explained to him that, in addition to paying income tax, NI, VAT, duties, company tax, business rates and corporation tax, I had also paid council tax for more than 40 years and that this council tax along with the tens of taxes listed above, are precisely what had paid for the damned infrastructure and services surrounding my home...

After lunch, back at Flash Towers, we got down to business. I showed him the deeds that clearly stated that I owned everything fair and square, now that I had paid for it in full. For good measure I showed him the section of UK law that also said that it was mine once I had paid for it. This chap was admittedly a little eccentric but I was still staunchly confident that no Englishman would ever try anything as shifty as changing the law, after a contract had been signed. We leave that sort of thing to Mugabe and an assortment of other foreign rogues.

Now this is where I have to admit to being surprised by the fellow. He showed a keen sense of humour that I would never have guessed at. He said with a straight face that he’d be doing me a favour by ripping up my freehold title and huge swathes of tax legislation. He said that I’d positively enjoy paying a tax that wasn’t mentioned in either the large or the small print when I first made the agreement to purchase the old pile.

Now, to be fair he threw in a generous offer to remove all my other taxes at the same time. That sounded quite appealing at first until I punched a few buttons on my trusty Sinclair. I eventually agreed to shake his hand on it, if he’d first agree to pay me back the 4 million quid that I had paid out in mortgage payments and home improvements, along with the 8 million quid in taxes that I'd paid for the local infrastructure that had, in turn, improved the value of my home.

For good measure I asked him to make the payments indexed linked. The retired QC next door agreed, over the fence, that this would be the only way to make this sort of unilateral imposition stand up in a court of law. My guest thought about this for a minute and offered to pay me back the lot. That’s a rather glorious £12 million more quid for my wife to spend on housing peasants in her flourishing buy-to-let empire. A little positive cash flow never hurts at my stage in life, so I was rather pleased by this unexpected generosity.

He quickly wrote something on an official looking piece of paper. I naturally assumed that the fellow was making our agreement legal and above board. He flourished the paper at me with an evil glint in his eye. The ground swirled under my feet as I tried to grasp the numbers on his impromptu bill. In return for the promised £12 million income tax and mortgage refund, the abominable swine was demanding £12 million in LVT back payments! My gout flared up on the spot, which enabled him to nimbly tuck a cheque into my top pocket. Later that night, I realised that this cheque, in the princely sum of £10,000, exactly corresponded to the amount I had paid for my mock Georgian pride and joy, way back in ’71. The appalling cheek of the man. It’s worth millions!

I finally came to my senses and reached for the shotgun. He scribbled furiously on a clipboard as he rushed past my worldly goods, on his way to the electric gates. Unfortunately for him, he also cast a covetous look at Daisy’s kennel, which was too much for the old girl.

Over the years, Daisy had marvelled at the increasing value of her kennel and had bitten the submitter of every planning application in her village and was not going to take this lying down! She bravely gave her last ounce of jaw strength to uphold The Law of the Land. I buried them both at the bottom of the garden... I say 'garden', it's more of a field, really, with a few tenanted cottages and so on, nothing special.

7 comments:

Derek said...

Excellent!

flashman said...

Thanks Derek. I was worried that it would be taken the wrong way. I intended to demonstrate the total disconnect and impasse between the two sides. Mark points out that LVT is a young persons tax and that the status quo very much suits much older folk. How did we get to a point where wealthy older people are shutting out their own grandchildren? They’re supposed to dote on them, not force them under the thumb of a btl landlord.

Derek said...

Taken the wrong way? Not at all. It fits in very well with LVT's tradition of humorous exposition. I loved the bit about paying back all the income tax, etc. but balancing it with a bill for back LVT. Never thought of that before but it makes perfect sense!

Derek said...

And as for the impasse between the two extremes, I think that goes almost without saying. The point is to persuade the large number of people who haven't really thought about it, a task which both sides work on continuously, even if one side does have much larger resources to get its message over.

Mark Wadsworth said...

D, this was F's fine work.

F, there is no right or wrong way to take it. It's like a Western film - the native Americans presumably see the pioneers as the baddies and everybody else sees the Indians as the baddies. With a bit of luck a Homey will leave a comment saying "Well done that man! I support the right of home owners to protect their property using force!"

D (second comment), as a fallback, whatever people say about LVT you can bat it back by applying the same logic to income tax etc.

As a mad thought experiment, we could continuing running the existing tax system and then calculate notional LVT in parallel.

So all taxes get collected as normal, and if your notional LVT bill is more than your actual tax bill, you have to pay the difference; and if your notional LVT is lower than what you've already paid, you get given a refund.

Anonymous said...

Flash, i've oft thought that with such a wizardry for the written word you should really be knocking-out some novels instead of your financial jiggery-pokery. I'm thinking a darker and more eccentric PG Wodehouse.

Wait, don't tell me...

SBC

flashman said...

I am actually writing a book. It’s about a council worker who befriends Broadmoor’s most notorious inmate. The council worker appears to be a perfectly normal family man but he has one fatal flaw. His co-workers assume that he had achieved Admin Grade 3 because of an affliction that caused his eyes to blaze and his right arm to twitch about uncontrollably. They resented the positive bias that helped their nominally disabled workers leap ahead of them in the pay scales but they were resigned to it. They could never have imagined what was really behind his apparent affliction. His bulging eyes and twitching right arm were actually caused by a fantasy that had gripped him for some time. He saw himself as the champion of the downtrodden. The defender of the criminally insane. His eyes bulged and his right arm twitched because in his minds eye he was involved in a frantic sword fight with his arch-enemy ‘Working Man’. He secretly called himself ‘The Defender’

The council worker found himself naturally drawn to Broadmoor’s most notorious inmate after seeing him on a documentary called “Britain’s most revolting creatures” He impulsively roared, “now here’s a man who needs defending”. The Broadmoor inmate had been jailed as a result of a dangerous obsession with a dashingly handsome financier. The police had eventually arrested him in his Newcastle care home. At first, the staff thought nothing of his habit of being a retired Indian Army General before 11 am and Bonzo the famous Hungarian trapeze artist after lunch. However, the nurses had called the police when they saw him wearing what appeared to be a human skin suit in the nursing home canteen. When the police arrived he was frantically name-dropping and declaring intimate knowledge of every subject covered by the nursing home’s library. A search of his room revealed a collection of real human skins that had been sown together in the exact form of the handsome financier. Several policemen vomited on the spot when they realised that this creature had become so obsessed with the financier that he had skinned several victims in an attempt to fashion an exact replica of him. His doctors soon realised that their simple diagnosis of schizophrenia was hopelessly inadequate. They had no idea how to classify a compulsively name-dropping, delusional, emotionally incontinent fantasist with a desire to step into the actual skin of another man. The council workers obsession with being ‘The Defender of Insano Man’ eventually cost him his family and friends and he was jailed when his twitching right arm inadvertently smashed the nose of an admin grade 4. He was led away babbling ‘Insano Man never lies’. He now shares a padded cell with his alarming chum. Whenever the inspection hatch is opened he can be seen frantically twitching his sword arm whilst Insano Man regales him with tales of his adventures with Louis X1V

It’s called Sibley’s Mirror