Friday 18 September 2020

The new Blogger template is absolutely awful

Google are usually ones to get things right, like Google Maps and Streetview. Nobody 'wanted' this before it existed, but by now, everybody is used to it and it is bloody handy.

Originally, there were two modes for creating new posts. In 'HTML' mode you entered plain text and inserted your own html tags for formatting; in the other, you could highlight and format text in much the same way as you use Word. I preferred HTML mode because Compose generated a load of superfluous 'div' tags which buggered up the line spacing; you had to use HTML mode to get rid of them all again. But each to their own.

This time, in the face of zero demand from anybody, they've made HTML mode uneccessarily complicated. For no reason whatsoever, it now shows line numbers on the left, and you have to type in a line break tag at the end of each line and for every blank line.

Which is a pain in the arse:

Nothing else is as accessible as it used to be either. Detailed stats are now four or five clicks away which used to be two or three, and filtering your post list by labels is much more faff. And it puts "div" tags before and after images, so you have to go back in and delete them if you don't want to end up with weird closer line spacing on all text below the image.

8 comments:

Christopher Snowdon said...

It's absolutely terrible and I see they've now got rid of the legacy (decent) version. I don't know if it's a coincidence but the sidebar on my blog now takes ages to appear as well. Very poor.

Mark Wadsworth said...

CS, I see they've removed the widget for "give us feedback". Bugger.

Dinero said...

I noticed Google maps got worse after a few years. Icons all over the place.

And hotmail ! The hotmail page has icons across the top and down the side and in the emails , and bottom left and in a tools box top left plus three dots in all of those places for more icons and there is a gear button top right.

Ralph Musgrave said...

Mark, I use Blogger. I’ve no idea what you’re talking about. First, what “new blogger template” are you referring to? The one that was introduced roughly two months ago or one that has been introduced in the last 48 hours or so? If the latter, I’ve seen no changes in my system in the last 48 hours.

2nd, I use “compose mode” but I’ve never noticed “a load of superfluous 'div' tags which buggered up the line spacing”. I don’t do a HUGE number of changes to the default text, but I do change the default text to Arial. Plus I sometimes make text bold, underlined or coloured. Plus I expand the line spacing a bit from the default. That causes no problems. Plus I insert the occasional image. Again: no problems.

Re “detailed stats”, which you say are four or five clicks away, I don’t know how detailed you want them, but to see how many views a particular article has had, I just go to an article, click “design” (top right), then “posts” (on the left). And the number of views for each article are there in full view.

Mark Wadsworth said...

Din, that's the whole point of Google maps - charge businesses for getting their 'pin' on the map. Dunno about hotmail.

RM, yes, the one they brought in a couple of months ago, where every sane person just kept clicking "revert to legacy Blogger" until the bitter end (48 hours ago).

I'll look at your blog to see if you have the weird close line spacing.

Mark Wadsworth said...

RM I see you customised your template a lot (well done) and you don't have the line spacing issue.

Ralph Musgrave said...

Mark, Re line spacing, to adjust it, after "Arial" (the font I like), I insert right at the start of the HTML, I insert "line-height:23px;". Or "25" or "29" if I want bigger line spacing. Hope that helps.

James Higham said...

Ditto with WordPress script kiddies keeping their jobs and ruining everything.