Sunday 2 August 2015

Review: Inside Out

It's rare that I see a film and come out thinking that I haven't just seen a movie, but a film that might just be a classic. I see a lot of very entertaining films, I see films that later turn out to be classics, but I rarely see films that not just blow me away at how good they are, but which I'm sure aren't just a passing fad.

If you don't know the plot, it's about all the stuff going on inside a young girl's head. This has been done many times in cinema. For example: the scene with the little men inside the brain of a man trying to have sex in Woody Allen's Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask.

The big difference here is that (and my knowledge of psychology and neuroscience isn't too detailed) the stuff going on in the film seems grounded in a lot of good science. This means it's not trite, but makes the story outside and inside the head feel right.

Film of the year so far, thoroughly recommended.

3 comments:

Mark Wadsworth said...

My little girl has been looking forward to this one for weeks.

Anonymous said...

Just wondering. Is this a film made with a particular age demographic in mind? Initially I thought it must be aimed at kids and fairly young ones at that but since hearing a few reports from people who have seen it, without any kids...it seems I may have been mistaken.

Tim Almond said...

Mark,
I'd say it's a better cinema than DVD movie, but I still think it'd be pretty good on DVD.

paulc156,
I didn't get that watching it. My own opinion is that Pixar stuff is deceptively smart. It's marketed to kids, but the stories are actually for anyone. In my opinion, their stuff is more intelligent than most live action movies.