Sunday 10 August 2014

Movie Roundup - from the ridiculous to the sublime

First up was Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, a movie where a bunch of galactic losers ends up coming together and becoming the good guys. It's hugely entertaining stuff, a great example of how to make popcorn cinema. Funnier and sillier than most Marvel movies, but the moments of serious are only more engaging as a result. Thoroughly recommended.

Then, I caught Under the Skin on streaming. I'd really enjoyed Jonathan Glazer's earlier film Sexy Beast. (he's also the director of the famous Guinness commercial with the surfers) and it had good reviews, too. It's really interesting looking and is brilliantly shot, but I've got to admit that I was quite baffled by it and perhaps a bit lost, especially with the character of "motorcycle man" and had to find a few YouTube videos to explain it all, which kinda fit. I don't normally need things in a film spelt out, but I think the director had given so little information that many of the things you see are open to multiple interpretations. If you have a different interpretation, it doesn't fit. Which might be why critics are raving about it (they can see the meanings in the film) but audiences are not so favourable.

3 comments:

Pavlov's Cat said...

Totally agree about Guardians of the Galaxy.
I enjoyed it immensely, was not expecting it to be so funny

chefdave said...

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy too and thought it was absolutely brilliant. The trailer didn't give too much away so I didn't know what to expect, I got a lot more than a bargained for! Film of the year for me.

Kj said...

Ditto on Guardians of the Galaxy.