Thursday 3 January 2013

Life copies satire

The plot of Small Time Crooks is that they rent an empty shop and try to tunnel into the bank next door but end up in the shop on the other side because they get their left and right mixed up underground:.

From The Daily Mail:

A pair of thieves attempting to rob a jeweller's by tunneling through a wall, ended up at the next door KFC in Beudesert, Australia.

The two thieves had broken into a toilet block behind the building shared by the jeweller's shop and the fast-food restaurant and used an iron bar to create a hole in the wall, but suffered some miscalculations.

Although the pair missed their original target, they staged an impromptu hold-up and escaped with about £1,000 in cash.

6 comments:

TheFatBigot said...

Mr W, I'm running a bit behind but not (I hope) so far behind that it is too late for me to wish you a very happy new year.

Mark Wadsworth said...

TFB, thanks, good to know you're still in the blogosphere.

Tim Almond said...

I trust you've seen Sexy Beast and The Bank Job?

(I missed Small Time Crooks because it seemed to be in one of Allen's terrible periods, but perhaps I should?)

Mark Wadsworth said...

TS, no I haven't seen those two, I don't go the pictures much, to be honest.

And no, Small Time Crooks was not very good. His best film of that sort of era was Manhattan Murder Mystery (probably his best film of all), it's your basic Hitchcock plot*, completely ad-libbed and completely loveable.

* The hero or heroine of a Hitchcock film is convinced that they have seen a murder or that something terrible has happened/will happen or that the hotel is riddled with spies, birds will attack etc, and spends most of the film trying to convince everybody else that they aren't imagining things until it is almost too late.

Tim Almond said...

I saw MMM and I liked it, although I like Bullets over Broadway more. My favourite Allen movie is Love and Death.

Kj said...

Happy new year! I had the day off so watched STC of lack of anything to do. For the sake of recognising the references to Allen in everyday situations with overly movie-interested friends, I've tried hard for a long time to see anything worthwhile in Allen films, but have come to terms that it's just not for me. Somewhere in there there may be well-crafted dialogue, comedy or plot, but it's completely destroyed by Allen's persona. Neuroticism isn't funny, it's annoying! :)