Wednesday 5 December 2012

NHS experiments with new treatment methods

From The Sun:

AN MP wept yesterday as she told how her husband “died like a battery hen” in hospital. Owen Roberts was treated with “coldness, resentment, indifference and contempt” by doctors and nurses, said Labour’s Ann Clwyd.

Strange choice of words there...

"Doctor, the patient says he feels cold. I suggest we give him some blankets and a hot water bottle."

"Nah, apparently patients don't always respond to that. Chuck a sheet over him and get the windows opened, let's just see what happens."

"Doctor, the patient says is still feeling cold."

"Try telling him to shut the f-ck up."

"Doctor, the pa-"

"Talk to the hand...."

"Doctor, the patient appears to have died."

"Did you remember to try a good dose of contempt? That didn't work either? Ah well, it was worth a try. How do you think they discovered vaccination?"


PS - If it were anybody else I'd have some sympathy, but this woman is an MP, they're in charge of running the NHS and if they get a taste of the medicine which they are prescribing the rest of us, then so be it. And she doesn't know the first thing about poultry farming either.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you were being a bit harsh until I read in your cited report that "Mr Roberts, 73, former BBC Wales head of news . . "

Mark Wadsworth said...

U1, exactly. On their joint salaries, they could have gone private anyway.

Anonymous said...

BTW I'll be commenting on your site - if I may - using "umbongo1" rather than umbongo: a glitch or something or other in Live Journal!

Umbongo

Mark Wadsworth said...

U, I couldn't resist addressing you as "U1" rather than "U", that's my warped sense of humour.

Anonymous said...

Er. . . maybe U2 (not the popular beat combo - the spy plane) or is that before your time?

Mark Wadsworth said...

U, the pop group U2 actually started making good records about ten years ago, they were self-pitying shite before then. And Gary Powers crash landed long before I was born (not the title of a song BTW).

DBC Reed said...

Having been in hospital recently (and only so much younger) ,I would say this MP (about whom plenty of rumours of a personal nature have circulated) is telling the bare unvarnished truth, which for a leftie is pretty unpalatable ,more so since the officer class of public-school-boy consultants and sharp, straight -talking Asian registrars and junior doctors was brilliant and the other ranks of nurses etc was worse than dreadful,not even following written orders (to dispense painkillers etc) but making up their own tiny minds on matters miles above their pay grade.Nil by mouth patients were being spoon fed and a guy died while they were looking round for the missing Resusci bag.

Mark Wadsworth said...

DBC, have I got it the wrong way round? Was it the nurse trying out experimental new treatments behind the doctors' backs?

Anonymous said...

Before he retired the NHS Blog Doctor was forever going on about the deficiences of nurses and midwives who, acccording to him, were being used (more than willingly) by NHS management as faux-doctors for at least two reasons: 1. to save money and 2. to fool the patients that the substandard care they were receiving was that which would have been delivered by real doctors.

DBC Reed's experience confirms that the NBD was absolutely correct. Evidently, wiping bums and administering the prescribed drugs correctly are beneath the dignity of many of the "other ranks".

Lola said...

Well, as I have posted before I was firstly made very ill indeed by the NHS and then fixed brilliantly by it. Mind you I was at Papworth. And I was very lucky indeed in the surgeon to whom I was referred ( Mr. Francis Wells - top bloke). And the ward I was on was excellent - and all the nurses swooned when Mr W turned up (!).

But, I have to say that I worked the system very hard to get all that as I liked it, and if I had been too ill to argue and question I doubt that I would have got the care I did.

Oh and did I mention that the food was inedible crap?

Bayard said...

"Oh and did I mention that the food was inedible crap?"

Isn't it always?

James Higham said...

You can have the NHS or compassion - your choice.