Friday 26 October 2012

Fairly Short List

Thanks for all the submissions to the previous Short List: "Pop groups which had so many line up changes that the ex-members were able to reform the more-or-less original band under a different name while the official version of the band was still in existence".

Sobers: Buck's Fizz and OBF

Tim Worstall: Yes and ABWH

Kevin The Chimp: Sugababes and Mutya Keisha Siobhan

DBC Reed: The Drifters and The Five Crowns

John Band: The English Beat and The Paul Collins Beat. He adds: "From 1965 onwards, Beach Boys albums were made solely by Brian Wilson and studio musicians, while the Beach Boys touring line-up featured everyone else and no Brian."

Former Tory: Wishbone Ash and Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash
--------------------------
Slightly off on a tangent, I'd also like to mention the Michael Schenker group in its 1980 - 82 line up, which included Graham Bonnet, Cozy Powell and Don Airey, all of whom were ex-Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. Two decades later, Michael Schenker briefly employed another ex-Rainbow singer, Doogie White. It would have been fun if he'd simply called his band Michael Schenker's Rainbow

At the moment, he appears to be reforming The Scorpions with Francis Buchholz and Herman Rarebell.

9 comments:

Sackerson said...

How about the Social Democrats?

Mark Wadsworth said...

S, are they a "pop group"? DBC Reed tells me off for overly strict definitions for Short List purposes, but that is pushing it, I think.

Sackerson said...

Well, they certainly were a group, sought popularity and were mildly entertaining. And had "progressive" views, like so many musical showoffs.

James Higham said...

Fairport Convention?

John Pickworth said...

That's the stuff I used to listen to... happy times :-)

Mark Wadsworth said...

JH, were there ever two rival versions of that band at the same time?

JP, you don't have to stop listening to it just because everybody else does.

John Pickworth said...

Embarrassingly... I didn't read your post properly this morning. I saw the part from "Slightly off on a tangent..." and downwards. My comment addresses that part. I'd hate anyone to think me a secret Bucks Fizz or Sugababes fan! Yuck!

I do/did have fairly broad musical tastes though. I note the reference to The English Beat; an ace act, that even today I'll regularly hum Mirror In The Bathroom in my head even though I've not actually heard the song for 25 odd years.

But yeah, my soul belonged to Rainbow, MSG, Sabbath, Foreigner, Def Leopard, Thin Lizzy, The Boss and Whitesnake (my first ever 45' vinyl) etc. Before that, I was raised on ELO/Wizzard and the various Prog Rock offerings or the era... including a lot of experimental musical imports from Holland and Germany (the names of which I've long since forgotten. Like I said, happy times. Sadly, we'll leave no such legacies today.

Mark Wadsworth said...

JP, obviously, pop music was at its very best when you were aged 12 - 15 and has gone downhill from there. So if you are seventy, pop music was at its best when Elvis arrived, if you are sixty, it was at its best in the swinging sixties, if you are fifty, the hey day was in the 1970s and so on.

But did you notice Michael Schenker's furtive attempt to reform Rainbow?

John Pickworth said...

I did, they were quite an incestuous lot as you pointed out in your original post. ;-)