Tuesday 22 May 2012

Jessica Ennis does double* entendres...

From The Guardian (I have not changed a word, Scout's Honour):

Jessica Ennis: 'I'm getting to that point where I'm ready to peak'

"It feels close now, really close," Jessica Ennis says as the shadow of London 2012 stretches across another drizzly day in Sheffield. It is supposed to be spring, and a time of gentle sunshine and new warmth, but Ennis can be excused just a small shiver as the penultimate stage in her long journey to the Olympics rises up this weekend...

"Götzis gives you that shiver," Ennis says, "but it's also a shiver of anticipation. I love Götzis, and it's an amazing event, but this time round it feels even bigger."


* Is the correct spelling "doubles" with an "s"?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently it's not actually a French phrase, so I think we can be excused the agreement.

On the subject, there's a game called LA Noire. At first I thought it should be "LA Noires": Los Angeles Noires (the Black Angels). Then I realised that LA is actually short for "La Reina de los Angeles", so LA Noire is "The Black Queen of the Angels". Then I realised that the Spanish for black would be "negro" so it don't make no sense anyway.

Anonymous said...

http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/double_entendre

Mark Wadsworth said...

RA, I'm more baffled than you are.

J, thanks for the "French lesson" fnaar fnaar. That says plural is without an "s" on "double", so good stuff.