Wednesday 15 February 2012

"Singer Shakira 'attacked' by sea lion"

We haven't had many decent 'celebrity attacked by animal' stories since the heady days of 2009, when David Blunkett and Leona Lewis got involved (which is what sparked my interest in the first place), and I'm afraid that the BBC's promising headline of today seriously fails to deliver:

Pop star Shakira has described how a sea lion "tried to bite" her as she took a picture on her mobile phone.

During a holiday in Cape Town the singer wrote about how the animal "got about one foot away from me, looked me in the eye, roared in fury... My brother 'Super Tony' jumped over me and literally saved my life, taking me away from the beast." Shakira and her brother suffered "scratches" from rocks "while trying to protect ourselves".

In a blog post on her Facebook page titled "Special report: Attacked by a sea lion", the Colombian singer included a photo of a minor cut sustained on her hand.


So she wasn't really attacked by a sea lion at all, and merely suffered a minor cut on her hand as she scrambled away? Right. I'm glad to hear she's OK and everything, but I still feel slightly disappointed.

You can read the full account, in English and Spanish, on Shakira's Facebook page.

4 comments:

dearieme said...

The sea lions on Kangaroo Island (Oz) are ruddy immense. You wouldn't get me within one foot of them (unless they looked oven-ready).

Anonymous said...

I really fancy Shakira and I like watching her videos.

I wonder would she be one-tenth or even one-hundredth as successful as a chanteuse if she was built like a typical sea lion, assuming her voice was the same.

Possibly not?

Rob said...

Post-MacPherson, a person is considered to have been attacked by a sealion if they or any other person thinks that they have been attacked by a sealion.

View from the Solent said...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/farmer_crushed_by_bull_was_a_tragic_accident_1_3522398

Oh yeah?
'It butted him, forcing him to be lifted in the air. It butted him several more times moving him along the ground.’
Some accident.