Thursday 16 February 2012

OK, what would YOU do?

Fact 1. I had open heart surgery in late October to fix my mitral valve. So I'm now 0.000005% pig, (or up to 100% pig according to Mrs Lola).

Fact 2. Had my medical for my motor racing licence yesterday - and I am passed fit to race.

Fact 3. I am just turned 60.

Fact 4. The Failed FSA has decreed that everyone must pass some more exams before 31st December 2012 or they'll arbitrarily stop you trading. There are notionally 6 of these exams. I have already passed 4. Next exam 14:00 19th March 2012.

Fact 5 and 6. We can go to our first two race meetings of the year on 17th and 18th March. 17th is at Oulton Park with HSCC and 18th is at Donington with The Masters Series. That means going from Suffolk to Oulton on Friday 16th March. Practice and race Saturday. Pack up and away from Oulton by about 19:00 (we are last race) and then drive to Donington, park and unload in paddock and then go to the digs and get some grub. Practice and race Sunday. Pack up and drive back to Suffolk arriving home at about 22.00. Unload and bed. Oh, and for those who do both meetings there's a bottle of Champagne, and for those with the best combined result a Magnum of the same tasty beverage.

Fact 7. Go to exam on Monday.

Now, two views:

i) I'll be so full of adrenaline that my brain will be popping and I'll sail through exam (multiple choice - about 1 hr long).

ii) (Courtesy Mrs Lola) 'You need my brains testing'. 'You'll be too knackered'. 'And at your age'. 'And after your heart op. I think your crackers!. etc etc

So which would you do?

(a) Restict yourself to Oulton only or,
(b) Do both and hang the consequences?

6 comments:

Mark Wadsworth said...

Start practising the questions now, do both races, get Mrs L to drive you there and back so that you can revise in the car, stay off the champagne on Sunday, get up early Monday and keep cramming until they tear the book from your hands.

More exams tips here.

Mick Anderson said...

No contest - do both.

The driving is for you, but the exam has been imposed on you by someone else. Have the treat in the bag before you have to knuckle down to the duty crap!

It's not as though you are going to be cramming for the exam if you curtail the fun.

Anyway, Donington is sort of on the way home from Oulton. All you're doing is breaking the journey up....

Enjoy the adrenalin rushes.

Bayard said...

Aren't the exams as easy as they are pointless? AFAICS, you don't need much knowledge to pass a multiple choice exam, you just need to be good at educated guessing.

Mark Wadsworth said...

B, L will have to make up his own mind, but my view on things like FSA exams is that common sense or educated guessing is futile. You just have to get all the standard questions and learn all the standard answers off by heart.

Anecdotal: I was enrolled to do the theory test for the German driving licence, and assumed that I'd be able to busk it, and hadn;t bothered revising anything.

I told my (then) girlfried the night before, and she was horrified, she turned off the telly and rummaged around for her Q&A books from when she had done the test a year or two before.

She made me go through all 200 standard questions (of which any 50 would come up in the exam) and to be honest, I got most of them wrong by just guessing, so we just practised for a few hours until I knew them all off by heart, I sailed through the exam and by the time I was posted the result, I had long forgotten everything again.

I'm still grateful to her for this fine service.

dearieme said...

I once left a scholarship exam half way through because I wanted to get back to school to captain my house cricket side. We won the match. I got the scholarship. My vice-captain never forgave me.

Look upon Mrs Lola as that vice-captain.

Bayard said...

You just have to get all the standard questions and learn all the standard answers off by heart.

Indeed, like you I once passed an exam and got a qualification by simply going through old exam papers and learning the answers to all the questions therein. Recycling of questions makes a mockery of exams IMHO. Sheer bloody laziness on the part of the exam board.