Wednesday 12 October 2011

Negative Four

I don't know much about maths but I know what I like. From The Metro:

Ukraine's former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko has been jailed for seven years after being convicted of abusing her power... Judge Rodion Kireyev also barred Tymoshenko from government for three years and fined her £120,000.

Haven't they got the seven and the three the wrong way round?

As to the £120,000, I suppose her calculation is, if she can make £30,000 a year by getting back into government for the last four years of her jail term, she'll have broken even on the deal, and will come out no worse off than when she went in.

UPDATE: TFB in the comments guesses correctly, the seven and three years are to run consecutively and during the three years, she'd not allowed to exercise any public office, I wonder, does that include stuff like librarian or street sweeper?

2 comments:

Lola said...

Priceless headline in DT today re this:

"EU condemns Tymoshenko's 'Stalinist trial'"
pp19

Pot. Kettle.

TheFatBigot said...

I'd guess the three year ban runs from her release, but I might be wrong.