Monday 23 August 2010

Fun Online Polls - Pakistan flood relief and Jill Dando

That's a surprisingly clear cut result on a very high turnout (thanks to everybody who took part):

Have you donated (or will you donate) to charities collecting money for the Pakistan flood relief thingy?

No - 86%

Yes - 9%
Other, please specify - 4%


Some of the comments over at the poll are very un-PC, so I couldn't possible repeat them here: in second place is Disgruntled Yorkshireman and the gold medal goes to Henry Morgan.
-------------------------------------
In the context of nothing in particular, something else crossed my mind at the weekend - I'm too young to remember JFK being shot, but I vidily remember Kim from reception walking through the tax department to announce that Jill Dando had been murdered.

So that's this week's Fun Online Poll: Can you remember where you were when you heard that Jill Dando had been murdered?

Vote here or use the widget in the sidebar.

5 comments:

dearieme said...

Nope. And I can tell you that the claim that everyone my age can remember where they were when they heard that Kennedy had been shot is bollocks. Some idiot made the claim when I was a fresher (1964), so we span it round the Common Room and only a small minority claimed to. You have to remember that the sentimentalising of Kennedy - Camelot and all that - happened overwhelmingly after he was pushing up daisies. At the time he seemed to be just a rather incompetent, empty-headed charmer. Rather like W, but with a style of charm that appealed to a different demographic. And, unlike W, he was assumed - by those who paid any attention - to be a crook.

Bayard said...

D, W?

I'm too young to remember when JFK ws shot, too, but I remember where I was when I heard the WTC had been destroyed. (BTW, I wonder how many people in the UK now think that happened on the 9th of November?)

James Higham said...

Jill Dando is fun?

Mark Wadsworth said...

D, a bit like most people clearly remembering that they voted JFK and not Nixon.

B, that's too recent and painful.

JH, the poll is "fun", not the fact that Jill Dando was murdered.

dearieme said...

"W" = Bush the Younger, Bayard.