Thursday 3 June 2010

Cows in stealth attack

John describes their MO in a comment on "Farmer trampled by cow on North York Moors farm":

My wife, dog and I were chased by around 20 cows/full grown beef calves Monday - we couldn't see them as we entered the field on a bridleway due to the slopes.

Although let off his lead the dog tried to stay with me and in the melee I got hit in the face by a head. My wife called the dog to her as she ran away to prevent me being surrounded but was then herself backed against a gate as the herd went around me. Her scream stopped them until I arrived yelling and laying about me. At no time did the dog show any animosity to them or even bark.

If I'd have tripped...


Let this be a cautionary lesson: just because you can't see them, doesn't mean that they can't see you.

6 comments:

Antisthenes said...

Who needs Pampalona when all the fun is in the field next door.

Witterings from Witney said...

Forgive me MW, but not 'anudder' bovine story..........

It 'cud' of course be another load of 'bull'......especially if some of them were trying to 'calve' themselves a niche mention on your blog?

Maybe the wife was recognised as a family member?

I will stop as you may feel the reason to comment further has been 'dung' to death.

Mark Wadsworth said...

Anti, indeed.

WFW, if you heifer funny pun, feel free to post it.

dearieme said...

Aw, bullocks!

James Higham said...

In NY, we once had a cow attack. Well, they actually just wandered in because someone had left the door open.

DBC Reed said...

Talking of films,does anybody remember "Women in Love"?The girls
Glenda & Jenny are menaced by bovines and Glenda sings "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" which keeps them at bay.Moral: supporting West Ham has some unexpected benefits.