Friday 15 January 2010

Heartless B*stards

A young woman was standing further down the train carriage on the way home yesterday evening, who was clearly about six months pregnant (the stage where the bump looks cute without looking ungainly). True to form, everybody who had a seat studiously ignored her, burying their heads in the papers, writing up notes of meetings, grappling with crosswords and Sudoku puzzles, playing with hand-held electronic devices, pretending to doze etc.

She started to look genuinely distressed (in a very tasteful and understated manner), so after five or ten minutes I finally snapped and offered her my seat, which she gratefully accepted.

Once she was sitting, and I was standing, I couldn't help but notice that her hair was thinning (which sometimes happens when you're pregnant) but that on the other hand, her boobs had filled out very nicely (which usually happens when you are pregnant).

4 comments:

sobers said...

I seem to remember a woman needed chivalry like a fish needs two wheeled transport.........

I'm afraid I grew up in the 70's and 80s and the whole 'equality' thing was drummed into me - whatever a man can do a woman can do as well (better probably!), blah blah. Feminism demanded equality, and I'm happy to give it. When employing a woman, I have to be blind to the fact that she may get pregnant and cost me a fortune. So excuse me if I'm blind to the same pregnancy on the bus or train.

Equality cuts both ways, not just always in favour of the woman.

bayard said...

Yes, but would you offer your seat to a man on crutches? (You'd have to give an injured employee sick leave.)
AFAICS, it's the condition that makes it painful to stand that counts, not the sex of the sufferer, even if the condition is peculiar to one sex.

sobers said...

Yes, I'd stand for a man or a woman on crutches. No sexism there, both are equally likely to be injured/disabled. But men don't get pregnant. So we are expected to give women special treatment in one area, namely chivalrous behaviour when they are pregnant, but treat them as 100% the same as a man in others (employment etc).

That in my book is trying to have your cake and eat it.

DBC Reed said...

@bayard
Not long ago there used to be notices up on the Tube saying give up your seat (certain seats ?) to the obviously aged and infirm.As an unfit OAP (who had drunk a fair amount; I'd been to a Land Tax meeting is my excuse) I was still
shocked when a well-fit Chinese girl offered me her seat.I thought of taking the seat and pulling her onto my lap but instead slumped down and lapsed into a period of self-pity which I've never really come out of ,tell you the truth.It's not easy having to accept chivalrous or what have you ,gestures.