Thursday 3 September 2009

Fun Online Poll results & Conspiracy Theory Of The Week

I'm pleased to see that 71% of us would allow Laura Dekker to try and sail round the world single-handed, or as Lola said, 71% of us wouldn't try to stop her. A couple of commenters said they wouldn't let their own children do this, but that wasn't the question, was it? I certainly wouldn't encourage my children to do this either (not least because I'd be no good at the fund-raising bit), but maybe other parents think I should be fined for exposing my children to the occasional bit of second-hand smoke. How about we all just leave each other in peace?
----------------------------------------
Anyways. The debate rages as to whether al-Megrahi was released in exchange for favourable oil deals with Libya. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't - and I'm not actually bothered either way. Now, I ask myself, is it a coincidence that he was released a few days before Gadaffi's 40th anniversary celebrations, at which they showed "a video clip of al-Megrahi stepping off the plane from Scotland to roaring cheers", allegedly.

So, coincidence or conspiracy: what do you think? Vote here or use the widget in the sidebar.

3 comments:

JuliaM said...

"Now, I ask myself, is it a coincidence that he was released a few days before Gadaffi's 40th anniversary celebrations, at which they showed "a video clip of al-Megrahi stepping off the plane from Scotland to roaring cheers", allegedly."

And all those waving Scottish flags, too. Who knew so many could be found at such short notice in Libya, of all places?

Robin Smith said...

On sailing: The purpose of government is to secure equal rights of all people. That is all. It is not there to protect us from our own folly

On Libya: I ask what do people "really" want out of this - Justice or Closure? Behaviour indicates the latter. Shame

Robin Smith said...

Now you've got me going:

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others, and the moment governmental prohibitions extend beyond this line they are in danger of defeating the very ends they are intended to serve"

Chapter 17 of Social Problems, by Henry George (1883)