Saturday 25 July 2009

My new widget

Ha!

Letters from a Tory (for example) has had a Wordpress plug-in on his 'blog for ages that shows and ranks people who have left the most comments (in which, I am neither proud nor ashamed to say, I currently rank number 8).

I noticed just now that Fausty had the Blogger version (in which I rank number 6), so have dutifully added it to mine, just beneath 'Recent comments'. It's a doddle to set up, i.e. you just follow the instructions.

Be warned though - what is annoying is that you can't shuffle the widget into the right place using the normal 'layout/add and arrange page elements' screen; you have to go into 'edit html', find the 'sidebar' heading right at the bottom and then cut and paste the widget down to where you want it, but hey, if I can do it, then so can probably most of you.

11 comments:

dearieme said...

There really ought to be a tax on widgets on blogs.

Obnoxio The Clown said...

"Be warned though - what is annoying is that you can't shuffle the widget into the right place using the normal 'layout/add and arrange page elements' screen"

Really? It worked for me!

Mark Wadsworth said...

I've just made the top ten in Obo's list as well.

James Higham said...

Go for classic template and html direct, old chap [young man?].

RantinRab said...

I'm never arsing about with my blog ever again! Not after the last time. Two days of fecking swearing and tears...

Mark Wadsworth said...

JH, that's too clever for me. I use the bog standard template and have added a few bits along the way.

Rab, we warned you!

Fausty said...

I took a backup of my template first, having suffered like Rab a few weeks ago due to another misbehaving widget!

I especially like the comments widget because it allows you to reply via email!

Mark Wadsworth said...

F, back ups are for wimps! There's nothing more exhilarating than the feeling of utter panic you get when you realised you have just crashed your whole 'blog and you have to work backwards to try and reinstate it.

You'll have to explain that 'email' thing. Do you mean the 'recent comments' or 'top commentators'?

Ross said...

I'd have thought that I had left more than 11 posts here recently.

Ross said...

Mind you perhaps I have to leave comments with my google account, not in the manner I do at present with the name and then the URL.

Mark Wadsworth said...

Ross, I guess it works via Google account, not name/URL.