Wednesday 1 July 2009

Fun Online Poll results: Afghanistan

Thanks to everybody who cast a vote in this week's FOP. Your/our views on the 'war' in Afghanistan were as follows:

It's pointless. Let's get our troops out ASAP. - 75%
Let's give it another year or two. - 5%
We can civilise Afghanistan by force, even if takes a decade. - 4%
We should occupy the country for ever, if that's what it takes. - 16%


I think that's pretty conclusive and accords with my own view.

Neil Craig commented thusly: "A clarification to my vote for #4. What it takes is killing bin Laden. I think he is dead already and we should say so get out but if he isn't we must stay."

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but I guess that offering a bounty of $x million for conclusive evidence as to his whereabouts/last resting place is a damn' sight cheaper (whether in terms of cash cost, lives or loss of national reputation). A sort of X-prize, if you will.
-------------------------------------
This week's Fun Online Poll: Have you ever forgotten your wife's birthday?

Vote here or use the widget in the sidebar.

4 comments:

BTS said...

Forgotten my wife's birthday? I can't remember whether I'm bloody well married..

Witterings from Witney said...

Speaking with experience, which is why I have been divorced three times - yes, yes and yes!

Sam said...

Forgotten? No.

Been surprised at the rate at which time advances, and so left somewhat disadvantaged in the present department? Well, ...

neil craig said...

An X-Prize for Obama's head was also Jerry Pournelle's suggestion at the time, plus keeping enough airpower in place to flatten anywhere that got stroppy. Had that been done from the start it would not look a climb down.