Tuesday 28 April 2009

Fun Online Poll Results: The Car Scrappage Scheme

I'm pleased to report that out of the hundred people who voted, 74% are happy with their existing car and 17% don't own a car and don't intend to buy one.

It's a bit worrying that only 3% intended to buy a new car soon anyway, which equates to about 600,000 new car purchases (3% x 20 million cars on the road) which is only about a third of the number of new cars purchased in recent years, but we can add to that the 6% who said "It will persuade me to trade in my old car for a new one (which I wouldn't otherwise have done)", which brings expected sales back up to about 1.8 million, which is about the average for recent years. It's also quite surprising that 6% of us drive second hand cars which are worth less than £1,000 (the true value of the voucher), so well done you.

It'll be interesting to see whether which is more accurate - the government's estimate that 300,000 people will claim the voucher or our own findings that it will be more like 1.2 million (5% x 20 million).

Full results here.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Moving on, you can look up how much MPs claim in second home and staffing allowances here. I haven't analsyed it in depth, but if you add those costs to the basic MP's salary of £60,000-odd, it appears that most of them receive a total of well over £150,000.

So this week's Fun Online Poll asks: What's a fair total 'package' for Westminster MPs, including salary, second home and staffing allowances?

Not being a monster, I voted for £40,000, all-inclusive, but as this is an 'free vote', I've included a range from £nil all the way up to £160,000.

2 comments:

RantinRab said...

I may be in the market for a car sooner than expected. It's developed a whining noise. I thought it was the wife but it does it when she's not in it too.

UK Car Scrappage Scheme said...

Many people on my website think it's an excellent idea.