Thursday 12 March 2009

Chocolate is the new drinking is the new smoking

From the BBC, without any hint of irony:

A Scottish GP has called for chocolate to be taxed in the same way as alcohol and cigarettes to tackle increasing levels of obesity and type 2 diabetes. Dr David Walker, a GP in Lanarkshire, said many people eat their entire daily calorie requirement in chocolate, on top of their normal meals. The doctor said chocolate used to be seen as a "treat" but had now become a harmful addiction for some.

I suppose there's no point asking where this will end, because it will never end. The bansturbators are drunk on power and there is no stopping them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wadsworth, just have a bag of crisps and calm down.

Witterings from Witney said...

Better still MW - have a cigarette and a G&T and really calm down!

M said...

Why do all these suggested "elf" initiatives have to revolve around squeezing cash out of me, when is somebody going to propose the government pays my gym subscription for me?

Bill Quango MP said...

Aye. Ah told ye it would be a'happenin. Just as ye say.

"We are making tracks..to beat snacks...

Mark Wadsworth said...

D, WFW, a packet of crisps, a few pints and a few rollies, now you're talking.

MJW, I think that they are already doing that, e.g. here.

booby said...

I say sod 'em bleeding interfering busybodies. They are already trying to stop all contact & dangerous sports. Anyway if I don't get me mug of hot choccy just before bed-time I'll just die I will............ now where's the beer!

Dungeekin said...

"Speaking at the BMA Annual Scottish Conference, Dr Interferingscrote - who started his campaign after his wife and children left him for someone who was less of a miserable, joyless waste of oxygen - had called for chocolate to be subject to taxation, which could be used to fund further campaigns to remove anything people enjoy from life...."