Thursday 12 March 2009

Beyond satire

I set up a group dedicated to "Pouring petrol over a pile of old tyres and setting fire to them" to celebrate Earth Hour but the warmenists over at Commit21 deleted it. HannibalLecter's group "I pledge to eat more vegetarians" met a similar fate.

Curmudgeon pointed out that "The trick, of course, is to put one up that is subtle enough for them to miss it for days."

Good point, but it turns out that Joanie from Alternative TV, Montreal, has beaten us to it: if you'd like to sign up to her pledge to "... recycle every toilet paper rolls [sic] in the office, even if they happen to end up in the trash can...", then sign up here, or use the widget in the sidebar.

UPDATE Their system for logging in is a bit flaky - it is quicker to register from scratch each time, using any old wacky pseudonym, than it is to log in again. Extra points go to the person claiming to belong to the most outlandish pressure group - something like "Gay parents for polar bears" would be nice.

14 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

I am actually struggling to do this, it doesn't seem to allow an e-mail address to be entered, and then says it's required :|

Dick Puddlecote said...

I was banned for having the name Dick!

Unless showing solidarity with Cuban leaf farmers and Venzuelan wine producers was what they termed 'abuse of the site'?

Dick Puddlecote said...

By the way, Asians against Andrex are in your corner.

AntiCitizenOne said...

The Cannabis Users of the Northern Territories have just setup a group.

Anonymous said...

I see that Ann has also signed up (Ann Tetrollin from Incognito that is)

Anonymous said...

I've proudly and public-spiritedly committed to installing Kleig lights in my garden so the trees'll absorb more CO2 during the hours of darkness.

Mark Wadsworth said...

FT, good one. I've signed up, and that reminds me that we need to ring the electrician about our outside lighting.

Bill Quango MP said...

Mine still up. Turning houses into lighthouses.
Bilil Kwan-Go

Mark Wadsworth said...

BQ, I can't see it, what number pledge is that?

Bill Quango MP said...

Bilil from Bandungho started this group .

2 pledges.

Anonymous said...

I've created this group, and hope to have six billion members by the end of the month.

http://www.commit21.com/group/77/I-will-ban-our-consumptio.html

Anonymous said...

Arrgghhhhhhh.......

They got me............

My Kleig lights aren't wanted.....

They deleted my group.......

Kiss me, Hardy........

(wv: "denth" - theemth appropriate thomehow)

Mark Wadsworth said...

FT, you had a better innings that I did. Do you like my comment on toilet rolls:

"Apparently some people flush their empty rolls down the toilet and dolphins in the sewage works choke on them."

I'm surprised they haven't deleted that yet.

Anonymous said...

Heh - nice one.

I was gratified by the very positive response to my comment about how "I think this is a very important initiative (cont. p 94)". Joanie replied and said she thought so too; possibly not a Private Eye reader, then.