Wednesday 11 February 2009

Fun Online Poll results: The Righteous are in the wrongeous

To recap ...
--------------------------------------
"Claudia Webbe, [profile here] former deputy chair of the Metropolitan Police Association said: "Boris [Johnson] needs to fully understand that [the word 'Golliwog' is] not just offensive towards black communities, it's offensive to a large majority" (see TheLondonPaper, Friday 6 February 2009).

I dunno. Maybe Carol Thatcher was inexcusably daft to say what she said, but that's her problem. Do I find the term offensive? Nope, not in the slightest. To find out whether I am in a small minority, I ... set up this week's Fun Online Poll ...
--------------------------------------
The one hundred and fifty eight responses to the simple question "Do you find the word 'Golliwog' offensive?" were as follows:

I couldn't care less - 37%
No - 37%
It depends on the context - 19%
Yes - 7%


So that puts one of The Righteous clearly in the wrongeous on this one, I'd hardly call 7% "a large majority". As ever, thanks to everybody who voted.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I trust you will now convey these results to the newspaper (and female) concerned.