Wednesday 6 August 2008

Voice recognition software

I ran up the TV licence people to tell them my new address, pressed all the proper options and got through to a bloody computer, of course.

Ah well. The computer asked me for my TV licence reference number. I read it off slowly and clearly, leaving gaps between the digits and saying "Zero" instead of 'Oh". The computer read it back, that was fine, "Say yes to confirm", jolly good, next challenge, the postcode.

I dictated my postcode slowly and clearly, as before, no good, "Computer says no". I tried again even slower and clearer. Still no good. At the third attempt I thought "F*** this" and rattled out my postcode as fast as humanly possible (in well under a second). "Thank you" said the computer and read it back correctly.

Weird.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my experience you mustn't do the post code in "Foxtrot Oscar" style. It foxes them.