Monday 4 August 2008

"MPs sceptical over car tax rise"

A ray of hope?

Nope.

Rather bizarre to find myself agreeing with ex-Minister Peter Kilfoyle (Lab, Liverpool Walton). There's more logic and commonsense in this single comment than in all the blathering from the politicians: "How can it affect people's choices that they made years ago? Trade in their car for an eco noddy car? How can they afford it as the second hand value of their current car has plummeted? Mark Ovens, Wilts"

And what the f*** is this: "A "car scrappage" scheme to pay drivers of high emission cars to switch to a more environmentally friendly model was also advocated - an idea welcomed by Friends of the Earth"?

Obnoxio points out the fatal flaw in this logic.

5 comments:

Snafu said...

Mark, I thought exactly the same thing! In horror, I read as the MPs suggested it wan't "ambitious" enough ie they wanted the taxes to be even higher!

Anonymous said...

During my breakfast this morning I spluttered my porridge over the paper and Mrs U when I think I heard Yeo on Today claiming that a £2,000 annual road tax would have a favourable effect implying that he was all in favour.

Obnoxio The Clown said...

Yeo needs a good shoeing. He's a disgrace.

Anonymous said...

I misread that - thought you said Yeo needs a good shooting.

Couldn't agree more. To either...

TheFatBigot said...

I sometimes wonder what Mr Yeo and his chums had for breakfast. Maybe he needs another bit on the side to get him out of politics for good.

How can these morons not realise that fining people thousands of pounds for driving nice cars will make less than a gnat's fart's difference to this country's total CO2 emissions?

Since they can't grasp a point as simple as that I'll give them an easier one: can they understand that reducing CO2 emissions from the UK by 100% is pointless because China and India's new industries will replace the shortfall in less than 2 months?

Even if we accept the Hansen/Gore AGW hypothesis (which I do, hook line and sinker and I'm going to be the next Pope and the next Chief Rabbi and the next England cricket captain when they discover Kevin Pietersen is a Nigerian Princess with French parents) stopping people driving cars will make no difference whatsoever to the state of the planet.

Why can't they live in the real world and look after the people they are paid to represent?