Saturday 2 August 2008

Britain's daftest double barrelled place name (Round 4)

The winner of the penultimate heat is Chorlton-cum-Hardy, submitted by ... rather awkwardly ... me.

So I should at least give a nod to Andy Cooke (all round genius, sadly without a blog) whose submission "Horton-cum-Studley" came a close second.

We're now into the final heat, after which we'll have The Grand Final.

(Just to recap, the other names chosen to go through to The Grand Final are: Boothby Graffoe; Wyre Piddle; Berrick Salome; and Chorlton-cum-Hardy.)

12 comments:

Obnoxio The Clown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Wadsworth said...

When did you enter it? I'll go to Round 6 if I get enough good entries in the next week.

Jock Coats said...

I completely missed round four then. What were in it again?

Mark Wadsworth said...

JC,
Bury St Edmunds
St Edmundsbury
Horton-cum-Studley
Chorlton-cum-Hardy
Great Coxwell
Little Coxwell

Anonymous said...

I still like Six Mile Bottom.

Anonymous said...

An interesting idea but there are so many to choose from. I propose Toller Porcorum, Wyre Piddle, Quadring Eaudyke and Huish Episcopi. And surely Chorlton-cum-Hardy and Six Mile Bottom are treble barrelled?

Mark Wadsworth said...

D, sorry, that's treble barrelled

WAI, conjunctions like 'upon' or'cum' are ignored. Those are excellent suggestions though. We're on holiday in Devon and daft double barrelled place names are thick on the ground here.

Anonymous said...

Going from the Humber Bridge to Lincoln it's hard to avoid Spital-in-the-Street. I hope the weather is kind to you on your hols.

Mark Wadsworth said...

If I get two more good ones, I'll add a bonus heat.

Anonymous said...

How about Over Peover or (its too late now) Peover Heath?

Snafu said...

Lower Peover.

Andy Cooke said...

Ach, I'm all bashful now ...

I have found one that appeals to the rather small cross-section of Harry Potter fans and political geeks: "Snape with Thorpe" (in North Yorkshire).

Sounds like a title of a rather rude fanfic.