Wednesday 14 May 2008

Imperfect markets

I toddled along to the IEA this evening for the launch of Eamonn Butler's "The Best Book On The Market"*. As usual, if you turn up on the day, you get a couple of glasses of wine and you get to chat to some nice people and eat some very delicious nibbles and a couple of quid off the cover price and the author will sign it for you, the eager purchaser.

Problem is, what dedication would I like ..? I asked him to go for the default option "To ...., don't let the bastards grind you down, signed ...."** and he fluffed it! He wrote "Don't the bastards wear you down" instead.

Imperfect markets indeed!

* Which is a jolly good book, having read the first half or so on the train home.

** Scroll down to Column 21. I've got a copy of James Delingpole's "How to be right" with exactly that dedication stashed away somewhere or other.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use "nil illegitimi carborundum est" - looks posher.

Now watch some classicly educated type pick me up on greek grammar

xplod said...

My previous as anon was because my google blogger name wasn't recognised - so here I am as "xplod" - name/id sorted - I hope !

Mark Wadsworth said...

Latin

ScotsToryB said...

Nullo modo!

Try:

Noli nothis permittere te terere

STB.

Anonymous said...

I might buy it just for the titular pun.