Monday 31 January 2022

My initial guesses for Wordle

I caved in and took a look at Wordle, which is basically the 1970s 'Mastermind' game but the answer is a word instead of a combination of colours.

If you want to get the answer in the shortest time possible with the least mental effort (rather than using up the least guesses, which requires concentration), you can use a brute force strategy by entering up to five initial guesses to work out which letters are in the actual answer, with a bit of luck, some will have been in the right place, but worst case you have an anagram. The strategy could go wrong if the answer is RIVAL and you guessed VIRAL etc, but there's a new puzzle every day.

For brute forcing it, you need five five-letter words for your initial guesses, that between them use as many letters in the alphabet as possible at least once i.e. the best outcome would be using 25, with a less commonly used letter like X, Y or Z left over.

So I took a Scrabble alphabet and got to work shuffling. Here's the closest I've got so far (not sure yet what the best order is):

WRACK
MYTHS
VIXEN
BUDGE
FLOPS


These five words use 23 letters of the alphabet at least once (E and S used twice), with J, Q and Z left over. So not perfect, but as close as I've got so far.

With a bit of luck, you won't need them all. If your first guess is WRACK and RACK is right letter/right place and the T in MYTHS is right letter, wrong place, you know the answer is TRACK.

9 comments:

Barman said...

I did it in three today...

I always start with RAISE

Mark Wadsworth said...

B, go on tell us your whole sequence!

Bayard said...

I did it four, first go ever. I agree with B, always start with a word with three vowels in it and "s". I'm going to go away and see if I can think of a five-letter word with four vowels in it.

Mark said...

Eerie.

Oh, you mean four different vowels.

Adieu!

Bayard said...

Thanks, Mark, I kicked off with "adieu" and got it the next go.

Mark Wadsworth said...

M, good one.

B, that's a bit of a leap to the answer if you only know one letter!

I used all six guesses this morning, but it only took me two minutes to get the answer. Then I went back to sleep.

Bayard said...

Well, the best place for the "e" was at the end, then I needed an "s" because it's so common and an "o" because it was the last vowel. "T" and "h" are pretty common, too, so it was a logical second word. I was surprised to find it was the answer.

Derek said...

A word-based version of Mastermind (called Word Master Mind) was introduced in 1975. I can't see any difference between that and Wordle except that Wordle is computerised. I'm pretty sure that the only reason that Hasbro hasn't taken legal action is that Master Mind itself was based on the traditional "Cows and Bulls" pencil and paper game.

Mark Wadsworth said...

D, fascinating. I'd never heard of cows and bulls, and if I had heard of Word MM, I'd totally forgotten.