Friday 24 December 2021

Interesting moral dilemma

The Mini was parked where the red Audi is, but the handbrake wasn't fully on and it rolled gently down the hill, coming to rest against the rear bumper of the black monstrosity (the driver of which is so stingy that instead of paying to park in a bay, they park it where is will cause maximum blockage of three surrounding driveways. So gets zero sympathy from me.): There are rules on this.

If the Mini driver gets back first, it is their duty to cast a cursory glance at the back of the black monstrosity for obvious damage, convince themselves it looks OK and then drive off and hope that nothing comes of it.

But what if the black monstrosity driver gets back first? If they just drive off, they know that the Mini will roll off again and hit the car in the next parking bay down, which is another twenty yards down the road i.e. the Mini might have build up enough speed to do proper damage, or veer onto the pavement or into the middle of the road. Which means they have to wait until the driver of the Mini gets back, unless they manage to find something lying around to use as chocks.

Hmm. I know I'd at least look for a couple of bricks or something, but I'm not sure I'd find anything suitable. Does the Highway Code cover this type of situation?

8 comments:

A K Haart said...

I hope the Mini driver gets back first. Not sure why but it is Christmas.

Mark Wadsworth said...

AKH, they did, then did the decent thing and just drove off.

James Higham said...

Puncturing the Mini's four tyres would circumvent the danger it presents. :)

Bayard said...

This happened to my brother, whose car assaulted an XR4i in his absence. He to fill out a form as the owner of the other car made a claim. The insurance company were not amused when he put n/a against all the driver details.

Lola said...

Bricks! You want to put bricks behind wheels on open streets? Asking for trouble if you ask me.

Lola said...

Parallel situation.
Came home one night some years ago and found a car transporter stuck in my narrow lane where it goes up around a bend. I parked nose to nose with the truck facing down the hill. Went round the artic and found the driver. Czech driver in a German truck following a satnav.
Anyway. Had a chat and said I think I can pull you out. My daily driver was a Defender 110 then. The police then turned up. A local PC in Focus estate area car. We had more chat and I said 'look I'll give it a go'.
PC and I then clambered back round to the front of the truck where we found the nose of the police Focus up against the tow hook and rear chassis bulkhead of the Defender. Yup. His handbrake had not been properly applied.
Needless to say there was zero damage to the Defender but a cracked bumper and dented nose on the police car.
PC wanted to report it. Don't you bloody well dare sayeth I. We'll both be buried in paper work for months. Tell your sergeant that it was accidental as we tried to rescue this Czech bloke in a German registered truck. I'll back you up. I'll deny any other story.
Oh, and the Defender did tow out the truck.

Lola said...

Ah. Unknown = Lola. Google account issues.

Mark Wadsworth said...

JH, that's clearly criminal damage. Would it even work?

B, whoever forgot the hand brake is the driver, I guess.

U, bricks in front of wheels, not behind. To stop the Mini rolling away.

L, hilarious. Why would Mr Plod want to report it? Was he the last honest copper in England or just a bit unimaginative.