Friday 7 June 2019

"The real trainer fans"

From the BBC:

Tom Rayment said he was on the Adidas website for about two hours trying to get hold of a pair [of Yeezy Boost 360s] but was unsuccessful.

The self-confessed trainer fan, 24, from Peterborough said he already has four pair of Yeezys.

"When they were first released there wasn't the demand like today," he said. "I feel people just buy them to resell so they can make profit, then it is the genuine trainer lovers who pay the extortionate prices to the re-sellers."


My son used to have a bit of a trainer fetish (it's worn off now, thankfully). Apparently there are "real trainer fans" with thousands of subscribers to their YouTube videos showing off their latest purchases.

The gimmick is, you're not allowed to actually wear them. You keep them in the original box and only get them out to show your mates.

8 comments:

Graeme said...

Peak trainers?

Graeme said...

The guy who cuts my hair collects designer trainers. He also has a puppy. Sometimes the puppy gets hold of a pair of new trainers. Mayhem!

Graeme said...

Mummy has to console and reconcile puppy and master

Barman said...

Mental...

Where do they get the money from?

Many years ago my daughter had a thing for Dr. Martin boots, she had about five pairs in various colours (all paid for by herself to be fair)...

I used to take the piss out of her for wasting her money for such a stupid fashion statement but she insisted that she only bought them because they were 'so comfortable'... Her blistered, bandaged and plastered feet told a different story!

Penseivat said...

I knew a young lady called Rayment (no, this isn't the start of a limerick).
She was sat on her own at a village dance, so I started talking to her. She explained that no one asked her to dance because they knew she liked pancakes. When I told her that I liked pancakes, she offered to show me her collection of 173 stored away in a cupboard. Perhaps she's related to the trainer guy?

Mark Wadsworth (YPP) said...

G, I don't think it's peak trainers yet. Not until shoe shine boys start recommending them as investments.

G, I assume that "the guy who cuts my hair" is to be taken literally and is not a euphemism. Does he ever wear his 'designer trainers'? (Jeez I hate that expression, every artefact has been 'designed' by a 'designer).

B, your daughter's behaviour sounds perfectly normal and healthy to me. As long as she wore her DMs, that's all fine. Plus young women in DMs is a great look.

PS, come on, what happened next..?

James Higham said...

I don’t wear em.

Mark Wadsworth said...

JH, good decision.