Tuesday 9 May 2017

Fun Online Polls: Bank Holiday Monday weather & refundable deposits

The results to last week's Fun Online Poll were as follows:

Is it fair to say that it normally rains on a Bank Holiday Monday?

Yes - 69%
No - 31%


I dislike these superstitions and rules of thumb, but I have to same I'm with the majority on this one.

Sicking with the weather, The Next Ice Age Cometh (full Telegraph article here, but behind paywall).

Faced with the choice, I'd prefer Global Warming.
------------------------------------
A pressure group* called Surfers Against Sewage are now campaigning for deposits on plastic drinks bottles.

* A quick squizz at the Charity Commission website tells us that as worthy as all this sounds, they do get a small share of their total income from government bodies and I know this is mission creep, but hey, let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

This seems like a good idea to me, so that's this week's Fun Online Poll. I'm old enough to remember deposit bottles or getting cash for bringing aluminium cans to a recycling centre (a valuable source of income for tramps, as well). In some countries they have systems to encourage you to recycle valuable materials. In Denmark, you put your empty drinks cans in a machine near the shop and it spits out a few coins.

Vote here or use the widget in the sidebar.

0 comments: