Monday 11 June 2012

"Terror in Richmond Park"

It appears that unlike cattle, deer play the ball and not the man:

From the Evening Standard:

A dog owner told today how his beloved pet was trampled and kicked by a deer in Richmond Park...

"The matriarch of the group came charging towards me within seconds so I ran sideways behind a tree and she diverted her attentions to the dog, who fortunately for me was off the lead. Sadly, he didn’t run fast enough so she kicked him and then proceeded to trample him. I could hear him yelping but wasn’t going to go near him because I knew she’d just do the same with me.

"After a 30-second, 45-second onslaught where she used him as a football I was able to call him over to me and we legged it with her in pursuit."


Richmond deer: a much classier animal that yer average cattle, who would have gone after the slower moving human while the canine disappears into the distance.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fenton! Fenton! Jesus Christ!

JuliaM said...

"The matriarch of the group"..?

Idiot's thinking of elephants. Now, they'd enliven Richmond Park considerably.

View from the Solent said...

Terror? Pah!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/9324431/British-hunter-killed-by-buffalo-he-was-trying-to-shoot.html

The buffalo did have good reason though.

Mark Wadsworth said...

RA, that sort of thing.

JM, I don't know. How does the dog owner even know that the perp was a female deer?

VFTS, thanks, now that's what I call class!

JuliaM said...

"How does the dog owner even know that the perp was a female deer? "

This time of year, the lack of any antler growth is a bit of a clue. ;)

Mark Wadsworth said...

JM, yes, if you know what species of deer it is then lack of antlers can tell you it is a doe, but not all species of deer have hinds with noticeable antlers.