Monday 28 May 2012

Genius does irony

From The Daily Mail:

Shouryya Ray has been hailed a genius after working out the problems set by Sir Isaac Newton.

The schoolboy, from Dresden, Germany, solved two fundamental particle dynamics theories which physicists have previously been able to calculate only by using powerful computers. His solutions mean that scientists can now calculate the flight path of a thrown ball and then predict how it will hit and bounce off a wall.

Shouryya only came across the problems during a school trip to Dresden University where professors claimed they were uncrackable. "I just asked myself, 'Why not?'," explained Shouryya. "I think it was just schoolboy naivety. I didn't believe there couldn't be a solution"

Modest Shouryya began solving complicated equations as a six year old but says he's no genius. "There are other things at school I wish I was better at - football for one." he said.

9 comments:

TheBoilingFrog said...

I like that... good spot

Anonymous said...

To be fair, his father says he's a keen cricketer. So he's not completely in la-la land.

Sean said...

So this really is a closed form solution.

Mark Wadsworth said...

TBF, ta.

RA, he's probably in the top eleven cricketers in Germany then, seeing as how most of them have never heard of it.

S, explain?

View from the Solent said...

Mark, a closed form solution is (very roughly speaking) one that can produce an exact answer analytically.
No infinite series or continuing fractions, which give you an approximation - becoming more accurate the further you go through the series/fractions but never settling on a final result.

I'm waiting for the details of his results to appear. That's one bright lad.

Mark Wadsworth said...

VFTS, thanks for info. I don't know why I asked such a daft question seeing as i could have Googled it myself and established to my own satisfaction that this is all way beyond my ken.

Sean said...

Fluid dynamics do my head in as well mark, but anyway there is no written submitted work from this young fella as we speak and the press could well be jumping the gun...apparently.

Anonymous said...

The solution is here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/u7551/teen_solves_newtons_300yearold_riddle_an/

Apparently the original German reports are less hyperbolic (as usual), but I'm not going to pretend I know any German in the presence of MW.

http://www.welt.de/print/die_welt/vermischtes/article13946182/Jugend-forscht-ehrt-Mathe-Genie.html

Mark Wadsworth said...

S, see if you can make sense of what J links to.

J, the German article is fairly straightforward and easy to understand. In other words, it doesn't explain anything mathematically.