Monday 21 November 2011

Fun Online Polls: crisps and idiot commenters

Thank you to everybody who took part in last week's Fun Online Poll, results as follows:

Which is your favourite brand of crisps?

Kettle - 24%
Seabrook's - 21%
Walker's - 13%

Also rans: Tyrell's - 6%, Brannigan's - 5%, Golden Wonder - 5%, TESCO (incl. Premium) - 3%, Lay's - 2%, Smith's - 2%, Burt's - 1%, Tayto - 1%


Honourable mention must go to McCoy's, which I missed off the ballot paper. Dick Puddlecote, Shades, Andy Nicholas, Adam Collyer and Sniper all named McCoy's as their favourite.

Duly fired up, I bought some Seabrook's and some Golden Wonder for research purposes yesterday. My lad reckoned that Seabrook's Prawn Cocktail are the best crisps ever, but I have slight misgivings about crinkle-cut crisps, they seem a bit artificial. The Cheese & Chives seem a bit inspid and they proudly say New 90% less salt on the back. I was very impressed with Golden Wonder's Salt and Vinegar, which make your lips go pale pink like in olden times and bonus points for getting green/pale blue the right way round, but for some reason, their Ready Salted are dark blue and not red, which sort of spoils it.
---------------------------------------
Turning to idiot commenters, I believe in free speech and really don't like deleting comments (by the same token, I didn't disable the facility which allows commenters to delete their own comments should they wish to do so), but there are some people, usually hiding behind twatty pseudonyms, who have nothing to add to any debate apart from personal insults. The three people I'm thinking about are all hardcore Home-Owner-ists, but that might be a coincidence.

I'm not sure what the correct procedure is here, so that's this week's Fun Online Poll.

Vote here or use the widget in the sidebar.

11 comments:

James Higham said...

I never post effing personal effing *&^%$* insults, so there.

dearieme said...

You've omitted the box for "Cut their goollies off".

Anonymous said...

So, no criticism of the ruse where the man with the delete button deletes a comment and then uses the content of the deleted comment to make a point or two, or three...

Fuckov.

Anonymous said...

As another "anonymous" and quite capable I have no doubt of making a twattish comment, or "getting my facts wrong" I have no objection to having the fact that I had made a twattish comment pointed out to me in a follow up comment by someone else, but would expect to be told clearly and unequivocally but most importantly honestly why my comment was twattish (which isn't the same as someone else simply saying they disagree with me, and leaving it at that) or exactly and precisely why it was wrong, and for my original comment and the response to be left for the enlightenment and education of all. But if I posted what was just hostile, infantile, boorish abuse and twaddle I don't think I could be that surprised and certainly not genuinely and honestly offended if it was deleted, unless of course I had a major inflated ego and desperation to achieve self aggrandisement problem.

Mark Wadsworth said...

JH, you post under your real name, which tends to encourage people to be a bit more polite or at least constructive.

D, how does that work, over the Internet?

Comrade F, but you are a foul mouthed idiot and it's my blog. if you leave abusive comments, it is my perfectly good right to delete them.

Anon 23.22, I didn't mean people getting facts wrong or disagreeing with me, that's all fine, what I meant was people who leave a barrage of personal insults and show a complete inability to engage in debate, a prime example being Comrade F.

A K Haart said...

Your blog, your rules. I think you are remarkably patient.

Anonymous said...

Since you started signing off, all of your comments have contained foul mouthed language.

Anonymous said...

You can always add more salt to crisps if you think there isn't enough. Actually, it may be a good idea for kids. Too much salt (>6g/day) is associated with heart disease in adults, but if kids have more than what is "recommended", then their kidneys get used to a saltier environment, and become overactive so that when they are adults they get rid of more, thus allowing a higher tolerance or threshold.

Mark Wadsworth said...

AKH, ta.

Anon 18.07, ta for back up.

Anon 18.13, yes, you can shake salt over them, but it mainly falls to the bottom of the packet. I never really saw the point of those salt'n'shake crisps really. Re tolerance, is that how the Japanese manage it?

James Higham said...

Actually, apart from the professional ones, it makes you wonder why they bother.

James Higham said...

Update: There is now a hashtag:

#boycottwalkers.