Thursday 22 July 2010

Hooray! Boo!

From the BBC:

A delicate, blue-hued insect has re-appeared in the UK after an interval of more than half a century. The dainty damselfly, a smaller relative of dragonflies, was washed away from its single East Anglian pond in the severe coastal floods of 1952/3.

Now, a few individuals have been found at a site in north Kent. Conservationists believe the insects were blown on the wind from France or Belgium where they have become more common...


... wait for it...

... probably due to climate change.

6 comments:

DBC Reed said...

This must be one rare variety because damselflies are quite common throughout the UK, are they not?Looking like dragonflies but with wings that fold up down the length of the body while at rest?

Steven_L said...

I'm sure I've seen these fishing in the south west too.

Maybe they've just cut n paste from a press release.

Tim Almond said...

Steven_L,

Yes. I've seen one. I thought it was so beautiful that I took a photograph of one (I was also v. happy with the photograph):-

http://independentramblings.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-really.html

Mark Wadsworth said...

DBC, SL, don't ask me. I don't really like insects.

JT, that is a beautiful photo'. How near were you to the insect in question?

Tim Almond said...

Thanks Mark,

I was quite close to the insect. Dragonflies don't seem to mind people much.

I use a dSLR for when I shoot nature/architecture. One of the benefits is that you can get really close up for focussing, which is a problem with point-and-click (I like point-and-click for days out as it's much more portable).

DBC Reed said...

There's a very tasty lager by Young's called Damselfly although the picture on the label shows one in flight,no good for distinguishing it from a dragonfly,the at-rest position of the wings being crucial.Can't believe Young's would name something after a species thought to be extinct.