Friday 2 April 2010

Friday night gear change, sort of

No excruciating 'modulation' today, as I have spent the last six hours driving around getting people to sign my nomination papers. So that's enough gear changes for me, if you see what I mean.

A big thanks to branch secretary MS who compiled a list of local UKIP supporters, and to RK, IT, JO'M, RO'M, JR, SS, Mrs BS, PV, MM, SG and MB for signing the form. Yes I know you only need ten but I thought best include one more for luck.

Minus points go to the other BS. I 'phoned him as I walked towards his house (he not having returned my earlier message) and he asked me the eternal leading question, in exactly the imperious tone that people always use when they ask that question:

"Do you know who I am?"

"No sir," I replied respectfully "I was given your name by our local branch secretary as somebody who might be willing to sign my nomination form."

"I am a Conservative Councillor,"
he retorted, "I'm hardly going to want a UKIP MP, am I?"

"Fair do's."
I replied, and I'd like to think that I hung up on him a split second before he slammed the 'phone down on me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol!

JuliaM said...

Here's hoping he has cause to regret that...

Antisthenes said...

There is a lot of comment on the blogosphere about votematch. If everyone votes the way votematch indicates then UKIP will form the next government and BNP will be the loyal opposition. That would liven politics up a bit.

Not going to happen of course.

Mark Wadsworth said...

JM, unforturnately, he will probably have the last laugh.

Anti, I tried Votematch just now - do you think it's rigged in favour of UKIP somehow?

Antisthenes said...

MW, It appears so or maybe not perhaps people are not really aware of the fact that what they believe in has more affinity to the policies of UKIP than with the policies of whom they normally vote for.

Many Conservatives wish UKIP policies were Conservative ones and have no problem with seeing UKIP MPs at Westminster. Also many of UKIP policies have universal support however other factors though will determine how people vote on the day.

taxpayer said...

You only need 10 signatures to stand for Parliament? Here in Illinois a state representative candidate, for a district of about 105,000 people, needs over 2500 signers, and will try to get double that as the republocrats pull various tricks to disqualify signatures.