Friday 25 September 2009

Martin Wolf rocks!

Like DBC Reed, I have very little to add to Martin Wolf's fine article on Vince Cable's "Mansion tax".

Even if you have to go through the rigmarole of registering for a free trial subscription to the FT just to read that article, it is well worth doing (and saves me the hassle of quoting bits and paraphrasing).

So, Martin Wolf, despite you haven't replied to my emails since I mentioned that I am a Ukipper*, have a rock!

* Update: he just replied to one of my emails, so fair play.

3 comments:

DBC Reed said...

You can read the whole thing without the subscription rigmarole by looking it up on Google.
I wonder if Martin Wolf, Sam Brittan,Ashley Seager and Larry Elliott got an invite to next Tuesday's Guv meeting with economists .Probably not because they are i) respected broadsheet journalists and b)land taxers.
BTW your initial suspicion of Cable's proposal has not been borne out by events as all kinds of people have subsequently poured through the breach he made in the taxation status quo.

Lola said...

He's put it all very lucidly. I was shouting the same at the telly - less lucidly!. I rather pay LVT than rates, CGT, IHT etc etc - and I live in a nice house, but without any real amenities. What I would do is try and stop the bloody council' from 'improving' my 'amenities' just so's it could cahrge me more tax.

Actually the lane below my house has three springs under it. Evey so often they blow through the metalling and create a nice big pothole and all the traffic, such as there is, goes away! I think the springs might get some regular encouragement.

James Higham said...

Bloomberg don't charge you.