Saturday 29 August 2009

Fun Online Poll Results & that Dutch lass who wants to go sailing

Hmm.

In last week's Fun Online Poll, a surprising 44% of respondents said they were angered and repulsed by the reception given to al-Megrahi on his return to Libya, with 56% saying they weren't (there wasn't a middle option or a "don't know/don't care" option). I personally don't see what there is to be particularly upset about, but hey, that's why I ran the poll.
--------------------------------------
Rantin' Rab got a decent debate going on the topic of whether it was right for the Dutch authorities to prevent Laura Dekker* from trying to sail round the world single handed at the age of 13 or 14. Those who commented (including me) seemed to agree that she should be allowed, on the basis of "What's the worst that can happen?"

So that's the topic of this week's Fun Online Poll, "Would you allow Laura Dekker to try and sail round the world single-handed?".

Vote here or use the widget in the sidebar.

* Whose father and mother are no doubt known as 'Desmond' and 'Blackand'.

8 comments:

RantinRab said...

It took me a few seconds to get the 'Desmond and Blackand' gag.

Nightshift rots your brain!!

Witterings from Witney said...

Rab,

You are forgiven as it impossible to drill through Israelites lines - as the Egyptians found out!

Paul said...

Is she aware of the huge risk of her operation? If she's more than happy to take the risk then I think I'd say let her do it.

I probably would want some checks done though to make sure she's of sound mind - otherwise it's madness.

Home education is illegal in the Netherlands, by the way.

Witterings from Witney said...

Ps - MW nice gag!

Mark Wadsworth said...

Paul: "Is she aware of the risks?" She and her parents are the expert sailors, they know more than you or I do. So I assume yes.

Further, I've no reason to assume it's any riskier than Formula 1 racing, horse riding, hitching a lift off a drunk 17 year old friend or being in the Army in Helmand.

WFW, it's one of my favourite jokes!

James Higham said...

It's not as simple as that, Mark. Tehre are a lot of factors, as people mentioned at my place. There should be a "depends" category in the poll.

Bill Quango MP said...

Struggled with joke.
Thought it was a bladerunner gag.

need more sleep.

Mark Wadsworth said...

JH, it's all well and good saying maybe but let us assume that the facts are exactly as the media present them, is your answer 'yes' or 'no'? I don't see a middle way here.