Wednesday 27 May 2009

The last trading day approacheth ...

Bought: one June US-T Bond at 118-04½.

As readers may have noticed, I have adopted a slightly longer-term approach this month - rather than trying day trading*, I just gambled on being able to stay solvent longer than the markets can stay irrational. I sold this one back on 8 May on the assumption it was a fish, which it wasn't (oops!). So I had to sit tight while I went $4,000 minus and then back into plus again. The last trading day for the June contract is in the next couple of weeks so I thought it opportune to cash in now and await the next half-way decent 'sell' signal comes along for the September contract and then sit on my hands again for days or even weeks.

* To recap, March profits £1,000; April profits £1,400; May profit £1,000 - not brilliant, but more or less stress-free.

3 comments:

AntiCitizenOne said...

At some point China's going to stop buying and start selling, and that point is approaching.

Stay safe.

Steven_L said...

I still haven't found any dealing accounts that let me short bonds, come on Mark, let on where to do it.

Mark Wadsworth said...

AC1, that's why I go short - I gamble on prices falling.

SL, I opened an account with Berkeley Futures Limited in London, technically I don't 'short bonds' I 'sell bond futures' (which is economically the same thing but much less faff).

To be honest, I've been perfectly happy with them so far, but do NOT take this as a recommendation blah blah blah, research a few and make up your own mind, consult an FSA ... light of your own circumstances ... yadda yadda (cont. page 94).