Tuesday 18 March 2008

Email to William Hague

"Dear Mr Hague

I note that on March 11th you replied to an intervention by Bill Cash as follows:

11 Mar 2008 : Column 167
"Mr. Hague: Given the growth of the EU’s powers, British sovereignty and the ultimate supremacy of Parliament need a constitutional safeguard, but I also say to my hon. Friend that the legal implications of any such provision must be absolutely clear. More work would need to be done in the future on the context and formula by which it is achieved, but I have great sympathy with the constitutional safeguard of ultimate supremacy."

I wonder whether the Conservative party is now doing that work, and whether it will be attempting to insert such a constitutional safeguard into the European Union (Amendment) Bill during its passage through the Lords?

Yours faithfully

Dr D R Cooper"

0 comments: